Friday, July 11, 2014

Another birthday partay

So Jack turned 16 and can I tell you I hardly believe I have a kid that age.  But anywho, it was a good day.  The DMV was uncharacteristically well-run and even pleasant that day, and he got his license and insurance and application for a parking pass at high school all taken care of by noon. 

Then in the afternoon, he drove the truck to pick up Grant from his summer class, I already like this!, and then was treated to his birthday meal of choice, beef Manhattan, which he shared with Megan, just the two of them. 

photo3

I had never fixed a beef Manhattan before, but I definitely have made my share of mashed potatoes, beef and gravy so it was easy.  I let him take care of the layering so it’d be just like he likes ‘em. 

He definitely liked it!

photo5

Here below he’s opening one of his gifts, a case of Diet Ski.  The pricey parking pass was his main gift.  Gary also gave him a vintage box which was a former carburetor kit thing that he picked up and knew Jack would love with its sturdiness, old metal patina, and cool latches.  He was right.  I shoulda taken a picture of that.

photo4

No after dinner omelets for this guy, but also no traditional birthday cake.  He wanted a coconut pie.  This was taken after a few hours of sweaty marching band practice and attending a scout committee meeting so we just skipped the candles and got into the pie somewhere after 10 p.m.   

photo

Never too late to celebrate our sweet sixteen.

2 comments:

  1. No offense Grant, but I'd rather have coconut pie than an omelet any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete