Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Day#269

My first friend ever Danny Rogers let us stay at his house, took us around Nashville, fed us Waffle House and Cracker Barrel meals, sat us right on the Opry stage and after the show, introduced us to his friends Crystal Gayle and her husband Bill. I had never met a famous person before and I now know, I probably need a little more experience. Can you say star-struck? Caroline asked why I didn't say words and just kept giggling.

Thank goodness for Sam who decided to ask "Do you want me to tell you a story I know nothing about?" and proceeded to entertain the celebrity couple by reciting his new favorite poem he picked up from my dad that begins, "Ladies and jelly spoons, hobos and tramps" and ends "Just ask the blind man, he saw it too."

They have a ten year old grandson who also loves to read so I think they enjoyed Sam (who read his Lord of the Rings book all during the show). Grant might have been a little nervous too maybe, since he said he was going into 12th grade when they asked. A couple minutes later he chuckled and explained he didn't know why he said that because he's actually going into 10th.

Caroline was pretty smooth with it all. Granted, none of the kids really knew who Crystal was or of her 70's fame. But I sure did. I'm positive Danny and I portrayed her more than once when we played Country Music Awards with my dad's tractor and drag racing trophies. And a bath towel easily serves as floor length hair.

Crystal's voice and stage presence were great and her hair just as long as ever. It was a thrill for me for sure.

1 comment:

  1. What?!? Pretty great End-of-Summer Fling! This is a great story!!!

    ReplyDelete