Saturday, August 29, 2009

Michigan Vacation -- continued continued

Detroit-- Motor City




The orange sign says Tunnel to Canada but we didn't.






The thing about Detroit was it was graffiti and litter-covered and this bridge looks like one of its best actually. You can't really tell from this far-away shot, but this building is just a deteriorating shell-- everything's busted out, no windows at all. Many, many of the buildings were like this, and not just really old-turn-of-the-century buildings--buildings like this one that could be kinda modern if not for the totally abandoned state it was in. Downtown Detroit felt like East St Louis and that was sad. I haven't travelled all that many places but of all I have been, it was the unclassiest city, and really just downright dirty. Sorry, Detroit, I know it sounds harsh. But so true.


It feels like this Detroit arrow should be pointing downward, if you get my drift.


So we hightailed it outta there, but along the way couldn't miss that Detroit really is, or used to be, automobile-world. Sam loved this:


Mimi told us a story about once when she went downtown Detroit, she was harassed by a group on the street because she was driving her Hyundai.



All the Ford sites seemed to still be working, but some of the GM buildings and other automobile-relateds, like parts factories, were shut down and boarded up. There was no avoiding noticing the economic effects and high unemployment in this state.




We headed back west across the state and here's our handsome navigator:


And have you ever seen headphones made to look like earrings?
We spent that night in Kalamazoo and there's not much to say about that other than we would not rave about that night's hotel, although their pool was fun for us. Well, until Sam threw up in it. I guess they could say there wasn't much good to say about the Gills staying in their hotel.



The next day, we continued on Westward until we hit Lake Michigan. And can I just say THANKS A LOT to whoever invented the SlugBug game because 1) there are a heck of a bunch of these on the road, yep, even in Michigan and 2) all the kids pick me to slug when they see one and you can imagine how quick and focused they are when it comes spotting them.

We had lunch at South Haven, a Lake Michigan harbor town.











You might notice the smile on my face and it is similar to the one you saw July 13, 1996 or July 9, 1998, June 29, 2000, June 17, 2003, and even the one from Sept. 8, 2004. Well, the reason for this happy day, I was having my first taste of chocolate in over one week! It wasn't intentional that I didn't have any chocolate, but with us in the van and hoteling it, I just hadn't had any.




And can I ask, if one is blessed with such a sweet tooth, why would the same one also have to be blessed with hefty arms? I'm telling you, they shouldn't go together. Just make a note of that, DNA-planner person or whoever it is that's in charge. Thank you.


And you know I am not the only one who is serious about ice cream.






I don't even know what to tell you about this picture except Miss Girl was trying out new 'dos in the van and this shot just cracks me up so much, even though she's not gonna be happy it's included. But I couldn't deprive our loyal followers of a chuckle just to save her some humiliation.


Well, The Gills on the Go are signing off for now, and the last installment of Michigan Vacation follows. The beach is within reach!!

No comments:

Post a Comment