Tuesday, August 31, 2010

MusicMonday—Introducing Gypsy Punk

 

Music Monday is two weeks and one day late, but since Ross asked about MM it makes me think he might be missing it, so I will put it off no longer. Forget that it is Tuesday! Plus, I just like talking music!

Bad news.   I no longer have my beloved Palladia channel.  Oh, sad, I know.   It was just with me too short a time and what a tease to have something so wonderful and then it be taken away with no warning.  I am sure I could get it back with the outlay of more money per month to dear DishNetwork but….

So in the meantime, I have stumbled upon a thing called Music Discovery on a channel called HD Net.  It plays about 30 minutes of videos daily, but only some I find to be of my musical taste and this show tends to be repetitive.  What you see today is likely to be what you see the next day with just a little switchin up every once in awhile to bring in something new and drop out an older one. 

And repetitive can be unfortunate if it’s not what you like, but there is one song/video that I wouldn’t normally expect to get into that has has developed into one of our favorites that even the kids get excited to hear and watch.  This is like the second Mini Mall.

It’s called Pala Tute which translates to…. I don’t even know.

I love to be introduced to something new that I have no idea of even its existence.  This my friends is Gypsy Punk.  Who knew?

Eugene Hutz is the front man of this band called Gogol Bordello and he is originally from the Ukraine, his family the descendants of gypsies.  The chorus of our new fun song Pala Tute is in possibly some tricky combination of dialects of the people of Romania (Eugene’s mom’s heritage) as I can’t seem to find a translation in of all the Internet.  But the verses…he actually is singing in English! 

Caravan is comin'
All guitars are strummin'
Chief is sitting high
With gold across the chest
I'm just a little chavo  (translates:  boy)
I don't even own a guitar
But mama they got girl
That I love the best

Chorus: Lela lela lela
Lela pala tute
Jas kana meres
Merava pala late
Lela lela lela
Lela pala tute
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa hey
Lela lela lela
Lela pala tute
Jas kana meres
Merava pala late

Carnival is comin'
All guitars are strummin'
And says old hitano
(don’t know, person’s name?)
Boy, forget about the bling
Here is a guitarra
For you little chavo
If you slave to kissing
You gotta play this thing

Caravan is leavin'
And her breast is heaving
Lord this kind of love
Can not be untrue
I'm a little chavo
But I learned one thing
Girls they like the kissing
As much as we do

Lela lela lela
Lela pala tute
I'm dying dying
Dying after you

Lela lela lela    
Lela pala tute
Girls they like the kissing
As much as we do
Lela lela lela
Lela pala tute
Jas kana meres
Merava pala late
Lela lela lela

You remember Mini Mall?! Warning: this one is catchy like that and fun to watch!  Sam calls it the make-ed song. 

6 comments:

  1. I always read this at work. I keep forgetting to log in at home so I can listen to this. I'm sure its great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! Would I steer you wrong?! Didja listen yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm.... I'm listening to it now. Not too sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know... one line in particular stuck out. It had something to do with heaving something-or-others.

    Speaking of that... check out my favorite YouTube band at the moment.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/tommyandtammy1#p/c/5A7542EC06AD84AD/10/SrkfrkfSPZY

    (As a bonus... they use a keytar!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Ross, here's my long overdue thank you for getting the TnT band into my life! (I do find his eyebrows and facial expression a tad bit scary but I think just it adds to the excitement. And heaving, yes, oh my.)

    ReplyDelete