Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On My Mind—House in the Works

Gosh, I really don’t find I have anything interesting to share, but I do seem to want to avoid doing my current list of jobs to get done today, so you know I can piddle around here doing something. 

What I think about a bunch lately is just what I want to happen with our new house addition.  I have all these ideas and haven’t been very organized about keeping them straight or in a place where I can go back to when it comes times to make decisions.  I really want to have a well-thought-out house.  Living in one for a year and a half that is the total opposite really makes you punctuate the well-thought-out part.

We have an architect who I have really enjoyed working with to help us sort out our thoughts on what we need to make this into a comfortable home for us and how to make it work aesthetically and structurally on the interior/exterior and also how to accomplish all the changes while we are able to remain still living in the house while it is under construction.  I know when it comes time to choose details and finishes and all those things, I will probably be on my own so I am trying to prepare and give them all some forethought so I am not in a panic when the time comes. 

So, some of my house thoughts right now, just off the top of my head (to explain why they may come off as kinda out there and all over):

Wood floors.  We have two carpeted rooms right now, boys’ rooms upstairs, and I strongly dislike that we have that carpet.  But if it were new carpet, carpet I picked out, maybe I would be open to carpeted bedrooms.  I do think the carpet square idea is a great one considering we had that in the Walton basement, so I have been looking at this site, FLOR.com.  I think something with almost no pile, but a bit of an interesting texture is what I would go for.  But for the cost, I bet I could do better getting carpet remnants locally that would be bedroom-sized.  Still, though, I would like the majority of our rooms to have hardwood and I do love to buy rugs.  And of course I have thoughts on having some tiled spaces: bathrooms, entry, mudroom. 

Windows.  This would be wonderful for our new living room that will have windows facing south and west. windows Hmm, on second thought, I’m not sure we have that beautiful of a view, though.  I forgot about looking at the neighbors’ across the road houses.  If we had a different setting, I would love this.

windowss

So, instead maybe I’d take this in my living room.  I really loved our dining room picture window that we installed at the Walton, just in time for us to move out. 

Front door.  How about something like these?  I just read that you can have an in-swing or out-swing door.  doorWhy wouldn’t everyone do out-swing?  Must be a reason, since I have never lived in a house with an out-swing.  Seems like it would be nice to have the open floor on the inside. 

 

Hmm, will have to research that a little more. 

 

image image  

My, how time flies when you are thinking fun!  More to come later I’m sure. 

1 comment: