Saturday, June 9, 2012

Arizona Vacation—Part 2

So, Gary made it home alive and that was a nice part of our vacation.   We sat around listening to his adventure, and it kinda reminded me of when Pa Ingalls would come home.  For supper we grilled out some nice pork chops and made potato wedges and green beans and brownies.  It was the first time I ever baked using high-altitude instructions.  I had to add flour to the brownie batter and change the volume of the liquids.  They did turn out great, though.

We were expecting guests that night, but due to flight delays and change in plans, no one came.  And Sam had spent the previous 24 hours throwing up various places throughout the house, so maybe it was better it worked out that way.  This is not anything anyone really wants or needs to know but since it was part of our trip, I have to mention it so it lasts forever but I will keep it minimal and just say it involves Grant slipping and landing full body down on the tile floor.   I think everyone that’d ever set foot in that house got blamed for that, but namely me. Well, and Sam.  And Caroline somehow.

That evening I just went to bed with my big fat History of Saturday Night Live book and called it a day.  For being on vacation, that one wasn’t my best day ever.

But, big but, the next day was fab!  We woke up, headed out to the hot tub and can I say that hot tub was a wonderful thing.  The morning temps at 7000 feet were cool, upper 40’s and then it would warm up to upper 70’s, high of 80 for the day.  The sky was brilliant blue with not a cloud and the light breeze was nonstop and it was perfect and lovely.  The hot tub was situated right in the sun in the morning, facing against this pine forest, with a completely secluded feeling and that was zee best.

Gary would say I am a little temperature-sensitive with a really narrow band of what I find comfortable, just take a car ride with me, and this place on the mountain seemed to fit that band to a T.  So yes, lots of hot tub time and sunning on the deck and a breakfast of chorizo and regular sausage and eggs and oatmeal and butter toast.  I picked up white bread at the grocery store as we came in that first day and it was such a treat!  I hadn’t had toast that good since I was a kid.  Who’d ever thought white bread would become a comfort food, but since we never have it and it is something I associate with being at home growing up, I found now it is for me. 

So between the hot tub and weather and toast, I was altogether a happy girl.  It helped that Sam was perking up some and we had plans to return to civilization and meet up with family in Sedona!  The only glitch was now Caroline wasn’t feeling well.  We stopped in Prescott Valley and got her some pita chips and kid Pepto and ibuprofen and we were going to get her better and have a great day, dang it. 

The drive to Sedona was fun.  At one point I noticed the red in the the rock formations in the distance so I knew that we were almost there.  Even the kids were into the scenery and may I quote Jackson, a boy of few words? “Beautiful.”  Here’s some of my taken-from-the-speeding-Suburban pics.

JUN 12 057  JUN 12 059

JUN 12 062

Caught some of the front windshield tint here ---^, the sky was blue but not that blue

JUN 12 063  JUN 12 065 JUN 12 066  JUN 12 068  JUN 12 070 

So we met up with Debra, Karen, and Ross in Sedona and headed to Slide Rock State Park.  Karen suggested it and we had no idea what it entailed but sounded fun.  And it was!  Next time we’ll wear our swimming suit and water shoes.

JUN 12 072 JUN 12 073

And Slide Rock definitely fits.  Those rocks were so slick!  Aunt Karen didn’t take a minute to hop in and get wet, shooting the flumes with the kids.

JUN 12 076

Rooooooossssssssssssssssssssssss!  my favorite part

JUN 12 077 JUN 12 078 JUN 12 079 JUN 12 083 JUN 12 086 JUN 12 089 (2)

Trying for a Christmas card pic.

JUN 12 085        JUN 12 090 JUN 12 092   Florida 2011 049 (2)JUN 12 093

          Last year vacation.               This year vacation. 

JUN 12 094

 

Gary and his favoritist shirt.

 

 

JUN 12 096JUN 12 097

 

JUN 12 098

Then we drove back into Sedona for some food and this was the view at the restaurant’s outdoor patio. I think Deb took this one of Gary and I and I like it!

JUN 12 103 JUN 12 104 JUN 12 106 JUN 12 107  JUN 12 112 (2) JUN 12 111

We said our goodbyes and see-you-soons and headed back to Prescott.  But we took a different route and that turned into a real adventure….

3 comments:

  1. I had not seen that video! I love the picture of Sam with the big smile! It was a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RRRRWWWOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I don't remember this. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete