Tuesday, August 24, 2010

His Name WAS Baby Sam

 

His name was Baby Sam and where did he go?!

Now I have this boy that I hardly recognize.  It’s like two days of kindergarten aged him four years.  And can I say, finally! 

He comes home, empties his backpack, takes out each item from his take-home folder, and presents me with all the things he’s done that day and things I need to see: Drawings of he and I picking blueberries, writing his full name, and his coloring all the circles contained in a picture on a worksheet paper.  “Mom, I didn’t color those because those shoelaces are not circles.  Those are ovals.” 

Who are you, little blond boy?  

He is excited each morning to walk the many steps it takes to get on the bus.  He is unhappy if I pick him up at the bus stop in the van instead of letting him walk home. 

I thought he’d be too wiped out after full days of kindergarten to make the walk.  Wrong.  It’s like I insulted him when I said as much.

He has made a friend not named Sauce.  His friend is DJ, but he also mentioned to me classmates Job (he pronounces it right and everything, “Jobe”) and Spencer.  In preschool he knew Sauce and maybe five other classmates’ names after nine months of being with the same group of kids. 

He has opinions.  He told Caroline that “this would look awesome in your room.”  Quote!

He likes wearing clothes.  This jacket/shorts ensemble was his own creation.  He asked for the sleeves to be cuffed up. 

aug 10 056

He asked if he could try a hamburger when we went out to eat at Applebee’s on the weekend.

Folks, that is huge!  You know, he was all

ice cream and corndog only for years.

Huh?  Whaaat?  This can not be Sam.

But it is and I am so excited!

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your youngest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! He was just waiting for school to start for him to catch up with the rest. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is he still walking each way to the stop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is! Full of energy and bouncing down the road each day, both ways. I know two weeks ago he would have been expecting me to carry him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add in that he has willingly missed recess due to such a thorough job eating his lunch. I know! It's so unSam. He comes home saying, Mom, we got to eat two times again today! (snack & lunch) Maybe he's gonna grow now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you didn't feed the child for his first six years of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha. Corndogs are food. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete