Monday, March 21, 2011

MusicMonday—FatBoy Slim Fever

Grant’s still totally into his Just Dance 2 game for the Wii.  One of his favorites to dance to is Rockafeller Skank by FatBoy Slim.  He dances to this all the time and even Sam is doing the dance these days and singing the song.  It has a total of 10 words, we counted.  The kids got out of the van this morning so they could practice it while waiting at the bus stop. 

This is what the game version looks like.  Grant is surprisingly smooth on even the tough steps, like at 3:00.  I can’t do it.

I think I surprised him when I told him we actually have the FatBoy Slim TheGreatest Hits-Why Try Harder cd and we could download it so he could have it on his mp3. 

I clearly remember back in 2006, as I cooked and folded laundry all day every day in my kitchen on Walton, I would have the little black tv on my counter on.  I kept hearing a certain song on a Target Christmas commercial. 

It's a wonderful night
You’ve gotta take it from me
It’s a wonderful night

Come on break it on down

It got so into my head that I kept singing the short part I knew over and over for weeks.  Then Christmas Day, Gary surprised me with the cd. I could finally learn the whole song, Wonderful Night.  I’ll tell you, it’s not a bit Christmas-y and even has some raunchy lyrics outside of the edited version, but I guess the Target marketing whizzes knew what they were doing since it still hasn’t left my head after these years and I think of it as a fun song for Christmas.  

It turned out that I actually liked the entire FatBoy Slim album.   I hadn’t dug it out, though, for many years although Wonderful Night has been on my running music playlist since I started running.  I especially liked the ‘we’ll have you on the run just like a puma’ part. 

So now Grant is enjoying the album.  The kids took speakers out to the porch yesterday so they could listen and dance to it outside, the beautiful sunny day it was finally. 

Here’s a video from FatBoy Slim that I just introduced to the kids this weekend.  It was such a big deal in 2001 when it first came out, with Christopher Walken looking so cool.  And now, the fact it’s Christopher Walken has no meaning at all to these kids, but they still had fun with it. 

I think Grant may have some new moves. 

Sorry, don’t know what’s up with the embedding issue.  Nothing I’m doing is working better, so you’ll just click on the Watch on YouTube link, ‘k?  It’s worth watching, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment