Sunday, March 6, 2011

Public Humiliation--Continues

Yeah, I’m on a streak here.

Last Sunday night we had a terrible storm at maybe eleven o’clock-midnight, so terrible that we didn’t even wake up during it.  Really, I honestly don’t even know how we didn’t, considering it took down our neighbors’ trees and they even heard the sirens from in town.  All I can think is that we’d worked so hard Sunday afternoon into the evening on this farm, harvesting wood you know, that we were all worn completely out.  Plus, we didn’t even have an inkling that anything was coming our way, so after our supper and showers, blissfully unaware we slept. 

I did wake up around three to find we had no power.

Next morning as the kids got up, still no power.  Even three of the four kids’ schools had no power but school was not called off as they planned to bring in generators.  Gary got a shower at the YMCA before he headed off to work.  I was working in one of the kids’ school library that day, and that went along without a hitch since they were the ones with power. 

That evening, came home, and still no power for us.  We’d heard from the power company’s website that it’d be Tuesday, another day!, before ours was restored. 

Without electricity, we have no water.  We also have no blower to circulate our heat from the wood furnace in the basement with no electricity.  I can cook on my gas stove but clean up without running hot water is a whopping pain.  I decided, hey, let’s go out.  That gets us out of the dark house and will occupy most of our evening.  Gary ran the generator awhile to let the fridge run and save our food before we headed out.

We went out to a family pizza place and everyone ate well.  Gary and Jack left to go to their Scout meeting, so I stayed with the rest of the crew and just milked it for as many minutes as I could, letting the kids hang out in the game room before we had to head back into the dark, cold house.  After awhile, the kids were starting to get squirrelly.  Sam got my shoes and put them on, over his own tennis shoes, and was traipsing around the floor. 

We weren’t really disturbing anyone, I promise.  It’s a big, spread out kind of place. 

He got to giggling and that got Caroline giggling and I look down at his feet to see that the shoes he had on were not a pair.

My shoes, that I had worn all day, did not match.  Yes, they were both brown and both slip-ons but there was at least an inch height difference in the heels and one is a wedge and the other, a wooden block-type heel and one has trim and the other not.  One is a rounded toe and the other is squared off.

I didn’t have the excuse of having to get dressed in the dark.  It was mid-day before I headed out. 

How did I do that without noticing? 

feb 11 007 feb 11 009

Don’t answer that.

4 comments:

  1. HHAHHAHAHA!!! How did you not notice the inch difference in their heights? Weren't you walking lop-sided?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely type this because I'm laughing so hard!!! If you ever top this story, I'll need medical attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you did not wear these with the sock hop outfit! The good thing is, you have another pair just like these.

    ReplyDelete