Monday, January 16, 2012

MusicMonday—Black

I hadn’t thought of this song for awhile, but heard it on the radio the other day and since have had it on repeat.  My favorite Pearl Jam song for sure.  For this week anyway.

But yes, wow.  This performance is just excellent and reminds me of this era in my life and it was good times in those early nineties. 

I had finished grad school, had a respectable job that was awesome and rewarding, and bonus!, it followed the school calendar which meant three-day weekends and spring break and summers off.  I was renting a two-bedroom townhouse of my own with a wonderful south window, was traveling around, had great friends and a hot red car and dates and something interesting going on all the time, including loving the grunge.  It was all good. 

(I have to add that I feel to say every era of my life has been good times, fortunately.  I feel lucky about that.)

I remember the very day it clicked, when I heard Pearl Jam and recognized what a force they were, musta been 1992.  I was upstairs with the radio on KSHE while I was getting ready to go somewhere and I heard Even Flow.  I really do remember the moment.  Isn’t that so weird but I guess telling?

I’ve always liked listening to Eddie and told Gary that I’d even go see him on his ukulele tour last year, but of course never shelled out the money to buy some tickets to see him at The Fox.  Maybe my 2012 resolution shouldn’t be so much about eating Mexican at least once a week as stopping letting things I want to do pass me by. 

Stone Gossard wrote the music before Eddie was even in the band.  Eddie added his lyrics and it came together as just a great (but sad) rock ballad.  This line just gets me every time:

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine

-----------

It is just entirely coincidence, today’s title and that today we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.   Here’s to love and peace for everyone. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, and when you asked me yesterday that song was going to be my response. I thought you'd consider it too depressing. Guess what we're listening to at dinner tonight. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Anonymous, you and me are definitely a match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd stop missing things too. I wanted to go see Rain - A Tribute to the Beatles this weekend at the Fox. I also missed Steely Dan there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I'd stop missing things too. I wanted to go see Rain - A Tribute to the Beatles this weekend at the Fox. I also missed Steely Dan there!

    ReplyDelete