Monday, December 10, 2012

Have a Lice Day!

 

Ok, so this week I have a better attitude.  Maybe it has something to do with actually getting some sleep and reconnecting with my scarcely home hubby and having a Sunday of not that much to do.  And getting past the pms?

Yes, I feel much better.

So, what I forgot to throw in about my whinings of last week was that we were on constant look out for little critters that we did not want in our house. 

I got a call from school that Caroline was in the nurse’s office which I took to mean that she was sick.  Except the secretary hesitantly said, “Well, not really.  We have something of a mice outbreak.”  And I felt sick to my stomach immediately because, yes, I hate mice.  I despise mice.  I imagined one running up Caroline’s leg right there in class, yikes.  I thought I was gonna throw up right into my phone.  But then I realized, no, the secretary had said lice outbreak.  Oh, well, that’s a relief!  Until I realized she had said lice outbreak.   

We’d dodged that bullet through all those years of preschool for all the kids but I’d heard enough to know the horror stories of getting rid of lice.  Oh Lord!

Well, it probably helped that there were a total of seven girls sent home from her class so for C, it was kinda more like getting to be in a special club of 4th grade girls than the shameful branding stigma I had in mind.  “What kind of treatment did you use?  We bagged up our stuffed animals, too!  Cool!  Let’s all wear ponytails everyday now!  We should be school nurses when we grow up!”     

So it really wasn’t that huge of a traumatic deal other than so time consuming to go through her hair after the special (expensive!) shampoo.  I washed and dried all the bedding in hot-hot and sent the stuffed animals into confinement for a month as recommended. So far we have gone over every strand of hair five times and did the follow-up special shampoo.  She didn’t have actual creepy crawlies, but we did find a few nits, which are the eggs.  And those were creepy enough. 

I even sat in the nurse’s chair for a check since C and I are in the same bathroom, hair brushes all together in the same drawer.   Nothing was found on me, luckily.  The nurse asked if I wear hairspray because they don’t really like “product.”  Thank you for once, flyaway slick hair, because yes, I hair spray nearly daily. 

A funny in the whole not-really-funny event was when we left school that day of the outbreak and headed straight to Walgreen’s, Caroline told me she’d been told to look for the brand Raid. I think she meant

      (haha!)

 

Well, that Raid-Rid should take care of it and I hope that’s the last mice-lice outbreak for us ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment