Monday, May 10, 2010

Back By Popular Demand—Music Monday

And by back by popular demand, I mean Karen casually mentioned yesterday that I missed Music Monday last week.  So I totally took that as the world needs me to share my music on Monday and here I am.

And ironically, this post will be about music that should not be shared. 

One night last week, we heard Nickelback on the radio and I mentioned to the kids how I am more a fan of a soft, shriveled pickle than I am of Nickelback. 

Yes, I was but one proud member of the Facebook group that, now that I look, seems to have served its purpose and vanished.  BUT I think we made our point. 

Here’s totally lame Nickelback TV if you feel you must punish your eyes, ears, and brain today. 

So anywho, after the Nickelback song,  1999 by Prince followed by Since You’re Gone by The Cars came on and I lectured we discussed how this was so much better music.  Part of the explanation included that it was music from the 80’s and most anything you know from when you are a kid, you think totally rocks. 

Then Grant asked if there was any music from when I was a kid that I did not enjoy and with that, in a reflexive flash of one millisecond, out came these two words: 

Air Supply

Here’s a sample of some of their if-these-are-Love-songs-why-do-they-evoke-such-Diane-Hate?

Listen and you will learn.  Watch and you will be entertained.

Chests with gold chains, crazy-arse hair, bad acting, and the whiniest voice on Earth.  When I shared with the kids, even Caroline commented on the “tightness” of their pants. 

(I apologize in advance for all the Vevo ads, but really, such a small price to play for free music laughs.)

The One that You Love --  1:10 the original wardrobe malfunction? I spy with my little eye an only 50% popped collar. 

1:33 just imagine if this was a his vs. hers hair fight, too scary 

2:45  is it just me or does this just scream Weinie!

Young Love  -- love the mirror image feature, you get twice as much to make fun of

Keeping the Love Alive -- 1:00 see the yellow pants?  Mine were by HangTen and exactly what I wore for my freshman picture in 1981

Time for Love -- :40 do these shoulder pads make me look taller?

Making Love Out of Nothing at All -- :30 says it all; 1:12 hahaha

2:33 to catch my my favorite AS lyric.  Yes, you heard right…. The beating of my heart is a drum and it’s lost and it’s looking for a rhythm like you

3:05 if I jump wearing cowboy boots will I look taller?

Lost in Love  -- 3:53 see, it hurts his ears too

And these are just the “Love” songs.  There’s a host of other lame-o Air Supply songs.  Gary’s personal non-favorite:  Without You.  He says it’s the worst of all the whiney songs ever.  If you click you’ll see it’s by Air Suplly. 

Just never forget this:

It is better to have loved and lost than to listen to "Lost In Love" by Air Supply.

[I will admit if I had to pick one Air Supply song to be subjected to for eternity in He-double hockey sticks, I would pick Lost in Love for its lesser-annoying sound.  I may or may not actually like their harmonies on that one, in the tiniest way of course.]

And if I were casting Air Supply-The Movie? Get me Jeff Daniels and Richard Simmons.  

1 comment:

  1. If not for the tight pants, they would sing several octaves lower.

    ReplyDelete