Monday, May 31, 2010

Music Monday—Back to the Cassettes, It’s New Wave Time

may 10 036

Ah, looking at the yard sale cassettes and I’m smack back in the 80’s and in the synthe-y, dancing New Wave days.  may 10 037Let’s take a closer look at these four.  Maybe a reader or two will relive their 80’s days along with me? 

Or maybe not. 

And if you are saying, “Oh yeah, that’s when I was born,” you can just hush up. 

I was there for the original days of music videos and, oh, did they widen my world of music.  I will say watching these now makes me think I musta had a thing for British singers. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Psychedelic_Furs_-_Midnight_to_Midnight-cover Psychedelic Furs—Here are two of my favorite Furs songs.

1.  1982’s single Love My Way from the album Forever Now

You know when you’ve spent your life singing the words you think it is, to then find out you’ve been wrong? 

  • Phoebe: Uh, see, I-I think the one that Elton John wrote for, um, that guy on Who's the Boss?.
    Rachel: What song is that, Pheebs?
    Phoebe: Um… [singing to "Tiny Dancer"] "Hold me close, young Tony Danza…”

I realize now after 28 years, it’s actually:

love my way
it's a new RULE road
i follow where
my mind goes

2.  Heartbreak Beat from my 1987 cassette Midnight to Midnight 

These songs are still so good!

----------------------------------------------------------

Tears_for_Fears_Songs_from_the_Big_Chair Tears for Fears-- 

Listening to TFF now, gotta say it’s not doing anything for me. 

Mad World, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Shout were the big hits off 1985’s Songs from the Big Chair.  Shout was probably my favorite at that time. 

Wonder what the TFF boys are up to these days? 

-----------------------------------------------------

200px-Thompsontwinsherestofuture  Thompson Twins—

The biggest singles from my 1985’s Here’s to Future Days cassette were:

Lay Your Hands on Me and King for a Day

Those two were good songs, but 1984’s Hold Me Now is probably my fave from TT.

Lies was their hit from 1983 and that was a cool video.

So do you remember being surprised that no members were named Thompson, nor were there twins? 

But the red headed guy is Tom. 

And get this, if you Google “Thompson,” the machine gun comes up before the Twins.  Gary thinks that it is so the way it should be.  I know without even running it past him. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Adam Ant--Strip_-_Adam_Ant1983 Strip

Oh, Adam Ant!  I was so into his songs and his glam punk pirate buccaneer clothes.  Strip, ugh, bad video; Puss in Boots, ugh, ditto, bad video.  I cannot believe how campy, but don’t you just have to say ooh la la looking at him? 

Adam’s Friend or Foe album from 1982 gave us really good songs like Goody Two Shoes and Desperate But Not Serious.  Boy, do those take me back!  I still think Desperate could have been a Bond movie theme song.

Adam_Ant  Prince Charming was out in 1981 while he was still a part of Adam and the Ants, and was not yet the solo Ant.  Check out Stand and Deliver.  Aye-yi-yi!

Before that, there was 1980’s Adam and the Ants Kings of the Wild Frontier and Ant Music.  Kings would be my favorite to listen to now.  Love the drums! 

Poor Adam, aka Stuart Goddard.  I see right now he’s again hospitalized related to his long-suffered Bipolar Disorder.  Here’s hoping he’s soon out of the hospital gown and back into a puffy shirt.   

---------------------------------------------------------

may 10 036

Oh no, they sigh.  You mean we’re not even 50% done with this stack of cassettes? 

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment