Monday, September 6, 2010

MusicMonday—Mixed Up Memories

Yesterday I thought I had the perfect inspiration for today’s MusicMonday. It’d be on-time and easy to write. 

Remind me: When “perfect” enters my mind, I should be concerned.

Early in the morning yesterday, Gary and I heard I Want You to Want Me, a cool tune from the late 70’s, on the radio.  It sparked a vivid memory I enthusiastically had to share with him of how I got the 45 of that song, back in the day, for free!  All I had to do was save Snickers and/or Mars bars wrappers and then mail them in to get my free record of a choice of four.  But I was sketchy on how many wrappers it was… maybe five, could have been ten?  And I couldn’t remember all four record choices. 

Then as the day went on, it popped in my brain that maybe that vivid memory wasn’t so vivid.  Maybe it wasn’t I Want You to Want Me after all, but was the song Take the Long Way Home? 

I needed something to solidify the sketchy memory, so later in the day I googled Long Way Home Cheap Trick.  Ack!  I wasn’t coming up with anything helpful to jog my memory; in fact, I wasn’t finding anything about Take the Long Way Home by Cheap Trick at all.

Oh, but there’s all this stuff saying Long Way Home Supertramp?!

I told Gary about my confusion, expecting to get a little ribbing about mistaking two different bands so drastically in my “very vivid” memory and he said,

“I do that, too, with Cheap Trick and Supertramp.”

 

Who knew?!  Folks, that’s the fun of marriage, discovering these little unknowns even after 29 years of talking and hanging out (not that we have been married for 29 years but we could have if we married when we met at 13 years old.  Possible.  Very possible.  Very Loretta Lynn).

So, so much for a simple concise posting about my free 45 in 1979 that now I can’t even tell speak of with any confidence as to what song or who by. 

Anywho, here are the two songs of mix up and I don’t even understand how/why: 

And doncha know, there’s no video of  Supertramp doing Take The Long Way Home on YouTube.  ??  This will suffice.

I know I had the 45 of this Live from Budokan version.  Great song! 

And I am also 100% sure about it being wrappers from Snickers/Mars bars.  I can still see the remains of the chocolate on the wrappers’ interior as I folded them nicely to fit into the envelope.

And now that I think about it, I bet both of these songs were choices of the free 45’s and betcha I had no problem coming up with enough candybar wrappers to get both if not all four records. 

Maybe that explains the confusion for me?  Don’t know how to explain it for Gary, but I do think it’s cool that he’s got it, too.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know that, Ross! After 15 years of hanging with you, I am finding out new little tidbits!

    ReplyDelete