Monday, September 20, 2010

MusicMonday—Rockers Aging

Yes, I know I need to watch a movie every once in awhile so I can get out of the music rut, but movies are much less “convenient” for me.

So this week, we’re talking music again and I will just ramble on with some of my goofy thoughts. 

I watched a Cure concert this weekend on TV.  I was into The Cure back when lots of college kids across the US were into The Cure, when they were rolling out hits in 1987-89 like Lovesong,

Just Like Heaven (my favorite Cure song),

Why Can’t I Be You,

Fascination Street,

and Friday I’m in Love (which actually was the one I was least in love with).

I was dancing to them in college and still listen to some Cure tunes even now, so I was intrigued to get a chance to watch them in concert, modern day.

Oh boy, I was not prepared.

This is The Cure’s front man and only ongoing original member, Robert Smith, back in the 80’s as I knew him:

robert then

Yes, he had some crazy hair and ghoulish makeup, but that was just expected once you saw The Cure.  Misery was like their vibe and this was his look. 

This is as I saw him in this recently televised concert:

robt smith now

Yikes, quite chubby and still trying to do the crazy hair and makeup and it was just weird seeing it. 

I got to wondering just what age he is these days since he seemed kinda old, and I discovered he first started out his career in 1976, so if he looks a bit pudgy and older, well, shoot, he should!  And would it be a Cure concert without the hair and makeup?  No.  So I say: You just rock on, Robert.

Now in contrast, here’s a rocker that has just gone with it, this aging thing.  He cut off his hair.  It’s natural gray and definitely receded.  He was even wearing his round metal frame glasses last performance I saw of him.  And I respect that.

Peter Frampton then, around 1976:

peter frampton then

Peter Frampton now, at 60: 

 peter-frampton1_I100805235744

And then this girl….I have been listening to Chrissie Hynde lately and just really admire her, such the cool hot rocker chick that she was and still so totally is.

Chrissie Hynde then:

pretenders

Chrissie Hynde now wowwowwow:

1-chrissie-hynde 2-chrissie-hynde

She’s soon 60 years old and still sounds heavenly and looks gorgeous.  If this aging, I choose the Chrissie kind. 

1 comment: