Friday, September 10, 2010

A Tuba Lives Here Now

 

Grant’s dream from early childhood was to be a tuba player.  I could totally see it.  He had the tuba build, the tuba demeanor.  The kid looked to me like he was meant to be a tuba player from Day 1.

Sadly, the tuba dream came crashing down at the end of third grade when he met with the band director to sign up for band.  He wanted the tuba.  His mouth was too small.  He settled for the trumpet.  His mouth was adequate for that. He inherited Jack’s beginner trumpet.  He did great learning to play the instrument.  But it was no tuba. 

Happily, the tuba dream was rekindled once again this year at his new school.  The band director met with the band members.  The school was desperately in need of something and the director sought help from anyone that would consider it.  This new school had no tuba player.  A band doesn’t sound like much of a band without the low brass.  It was a time of need for sure. 

Grant raised his hand and volunteered to play tuba.  But could he?!  Would the small mouth again disqualify him from living his dream?  He tried it out, and thanks to thousands of dollars and years of mouth reshaping via retainers and braces just to get all of his teeth to fit in, this time his mouth apparently fit the bill. 

The kid can play the tuba!

sept 10 003

It is heavier than I ever expected.  This is one we are renting and I don’t know but I think it is from the 50’s maybe, given its total loss of shiny finish.  It kinda looks like one big ding, but let me tell you, the boy is proud. 

sept 10 069 

This is the actual everyday storage spot for the tuba.  If company comes I don’t know what we will do.  Company will sit on the stairs, I guess.  Where else would you put a tuba in this cracker box house?!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that tubas looked like that.

    I thought a tube was a: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousaphone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are educational here at GillsAGoGo, no? The sousaphone is what most people think of as a tuba, but it is actually just a variation of the tuba made more manageable for marching. I am sure Grant would be appreciative if you could get your tuba knowledge straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Ross... Geez! How embarrassing...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in FHS band, the sousaphone players were called "the tuba players"!! It's not my fault - I blame it on the schools!

    ReplyDelete