Monday, May 16, 2011

MusicMonday—My Recent Books

I really don’t get the chance to read much, or rather I don’t make it a priority I guess, since I seem to choose to do other things when I have a spare minute.  The reading I attempt before I go to sleep is a joke since I get through maybe half a page before my book drops thud onto my chest.  Then Gary laughs. 

I used to love to read and miss it, but somehow over the years of being so busy with kids, I have gotten completely out of the literary groove.

Unless you include the books I’ve been drawn to lately.  When I was dashing to return something into the library the other day, their new books display caught my eye since it is right there at the entrance/exit so I impulsively grabbed two books.  And I read them right away. 

Kinda easy when the material is simple. 

I will say more than one person laughed out loud at me when they saw me reading about Taboo.  You know who you are. 

And Neil Diamond, too, for that matter.

Taboo_FallingUp_Cover_350  Neil DIamond book

Then while out yard saling one Friday night, Gary noticed another book that I might be interested in.  Yep, he was right!  I read it yesterday, the cold and rainy Sunday that it was, when there wasn’t mowing or too much work to be done. 

PattieBoyd_Book

I will say you can skip those first two books, but I actually got something from the Pattie Boyd book from 2007.  Her tales of the 60’s and the mingling of the various British celebs was interesting.  She lived quite an adventure, marrying good friends George Harrison and Eric Clapton.  They were so incredibly ga-ga over Pattie that they both wrote beautiful songs about her.  It was a complicated triangle and interesting story.  The first time she met George on the set of A Hard Day’s Night, he asked “Will you marry me?”  They were just in their young 20’s at that time and two years later, they were married.

I was craving his song Something, written in 1969 about her, the whole time I was reading the book, but our internet wasn’t cooperating yesterday and I totally forgot I could just go get it from our old cd collection, duh.  So now here it is. 

That’s Pattie and George right there.

George was my favorite Beatle. 

And Eric wrote several songs inspired by Pattie that included Wonderful Tonight, Bell Bottom Blues, Old Love, and Layla, and I like them all.  It was so hard to pick a favorite version of Layla, so I just picked one of the many excellent ones. 

It would seem that Pattie was a lucky girl to be a model, long and gorgeous, and loved by these two famous, talented, and rich men, but the story was actually very sad, I thought.  She didn’t have a happy childhood, she was treated really crappily by George and Eric with them both blatant cheaters, and eventually divorced both after about ten years with each.  To top it off, she so wanted a child and was unable to have one. 

I don’t know when this picture is from acpattie_boyd_001_081607tually, but Pattie is 67 years old now and a single lady and still lives in England.

So, yep, that’s the kind of stuff I learn when I read. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know Something was written about her.

    I also didn't know you read a book by Taboo. Oh wait... yes I did! HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still laughing at me. About Something, that's what Pattie said anyway. I've also read George didn't say that so who knows. But I think it was about her.

    ReplyDelete