Monday, February 24, 2014

MusicMonday—Ship of Fools by Robert Plant

So today I wanted a quick music post so I hit shuffle on our iTunes and thought whatever song came up, that would be my topic today…which could have been a dangerous game.  But what came up was cool and then I realized, kinda seemed meant to be:  Ship of Fools by Robert Plant.

After we were home from the Christmas trip, Gary and I went to the mall at Alton and now I can’t even remember why.  What I do remember is seeing hats at JCPenney that had been $30-$40, marked down to 98 cents.  They were really nice men’s hats but too small for Gary or the big boys, and too big for Sam.  So I definitely remember the frustration of having to pass on the deal of the century.  I also remember that was the day we found metal panels for sale in a toy store that was closing and selling its fixtures.  Those became Scooter’s indoor pen to get him through the winter with some basement warmth while keeping him contained. 

But anyway, the other part of that day was us going into the library, yes inside the mall, and Gary found this used Robert Plant Now and Zen cd from 1988 for sale and we both got excited.  I guess I had the cassette at one time way back when and Gary had owned the cd, but then told me the story about how he had to sell it while he was a college student and living on $11 a week.  True story. 

[And not that he couldn’t have asked for some financial support.  He could have and he knew that.  He just wanted to do it his way, stubbornhead.] 

So anywho, the Robert Plant cd that he’d had and sacrificed was now back in our lives.  I took his picture mostly so I could post it as I told his college/extreme frugality story here, but weeks passed and I never did.

gary w cd alton mall

But then today that’s the song that pops up as the one, out of 2000 possibilities, and it’s during a time that Gary is in the middle of a business trip away from us the longest stretch he has ever been and he’s only just past midway through it.  A long two weeks.  So I needed to be reminded of this picture just sitting there unacknowledged in the phone.

Today’s post in my mind in the beginning was something like how at one time young Mr. Plant could have been my 1970’s boyfriend, just take a look here!,

 

but what it really did was trigger a story of my real life boyfriend and how he’s the forever one.  Even if he is a stubbornhead. 

I couldn’t decide which video version I preferred so have your choice.  First one is without my 70’s boyfriend but a high def remastered version.  The second one is the original 1988 video.  Either way, a great song written by Robert Plant and Phil Johnstone. Guitarist is Doug Boyle, and I think this is very cool guitar work.

[I didn’t know there were so many songs sharing the name Ship of Fools until I was looking on YouTube.  They seem to be different songs altogether--different lyrics, different sounds.  There’s a Ship of Fools song by The Doors, Bob Seger, Erasure, Soul Asylum, Dokken, Grateful Dead to name some.  Who knew?]

No comments:

Post a Comment