Friday, July 31, 2015

Day#244

When Gary got home from scout camp, he noticed I was no longer wearing my wedding ring. I think he might have thought the worst.

But what really happened was a serious issue with my ring. I had it cut off and resized several years ago. The gold that the jeweler rebuilt it with must have worn completely off because I was left with both bands having a sharp, vertical separation.

So one early morning as I was drying my hands with a towel, the ring separated far enough to trap my finger flesh inside and then closed back up tight. I couldn't do anything to get it off or opened back up myself. Luckily, Jack was here with me so I woke him up, but he was so groggy, plus completely confused on how the ring was separated. I think he was picturing it as a space horizontally between the two bands.

Not able to stand it any longer, I grabbed a pair of scissors from his desk to try to pry the two sides apart but that was too difficult one-handed. Then he tried using his Leatherman tool but that was too bulky for the small space. I was about to panic after so many minutes in excruciating pain. He tried the scissors and that worked! The flesh was released and the ring pinched back to where it was supposed to be. Woo, was that a relief. And now I'm not wearing my ring until it's fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment