Friday, April 6, 2012

Better than OK Corral

Today Caroline and I spent a great day together, and much of that time was us riding together in the van, making for some deep mother-daughter conversation.  She asked me what were my best meals ever.  I told her about the first time I ever had Chateaubriand, with her daddy before we were married.  He came to the town where I was living and we went out for a special date and that was very memorable and a really incredibly delicious meal at a restaurant called Centralia House.

And then there was the steak meal we had together, still newlyweds, while on a vacation out West, visiting South Dakota.  It was a place where you had a choice of the ounce-steak you wanted and it was served with a wedge of iceberg lettuce, maybe a baked potato and piece of bread and that was their full menu.  We waited hours to get into that place and ate finally at like 3 in the afternoon, but it was so worth it.  I see now online they have a lunch menu listed but I am pretty sure back in 1996 or ‘97, your only choice of menu was the size of filet.

And one other really good meal was at Dierdorf and Hart’s in St. Louis which now I find is out of business, but they do have a Westport location open, pictured here.

So yes, they all involved select, thick cuts of beef and those were my three best meals ever.

Caroline asked if I wanted to know her best meal ever and of course I did.  She couldn’t wait to blurt it out, and with complete enthusiasm and earnest said,  “Golden Corral!  Now that was good food!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment