Monday, April 2, 2012

MusicMonday—Games Without Frontiers

Gary commented that last week’s Somebody That I Used to Know had an 80’s flavor to it and I thought so, too.  Even the video seemed so 80’s.  I couldn’t but Gary was able to tie it to a specific song it reminded him of.  He didn’t know the title but when he sang the part “She’s so punctual” to me, I knew exactly what song he meant, except I could not remember the name of it either.  I could recall the “something something without tears” line in a British accent and that was about it.  Not the most complete info to go off of, but even with a little tidbit to feed to Google, I think you can find anything.

Turns out it was Peter Gabriel’s hit from 1980 that Gary was reminded of, Games Without Frontiers.  And guess what, “She’s so punct-u-al” is actually “Jeux sans frontieres,” the title mis-sang in French by guest singer Kate Bush, who made the Jeux sound like Zhee.  And apparently nearly everyone else in the world misheard it, too.  The two prominently sang phrases are “She’s so funky, yeah” or “She’s so popular.”  I can’t remember now what exactly I used to sing it as, because I definitely didn't catch the French phrase, but I think from now on I’ll be singing my guy’s fun version,

Sheee’s / soo / punct-uu-al. 

Here, you sing along to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment