Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Things That I Wake Up Thinkin’

Today, almost the second my eyes opened, I started thinking of my current favorite song, which is Summertime written by George Gershwin.  I have never seen Porgy and Bess, and for years had no idea that the song was from a musical, but back in the 1980’s, I just loved listening to Janis Joplin singing it.  I had it cranked loudly in the rockin’ cassette player of my ‘Vette* as I’d cruise back and forth to Charleston as a college student (*she adds in a whisper: 1980 Chevette, aka The Sh#t-vette, aka #10 on a not-so-flattering list).

It was a song that painted such a mental picture and I could listen to it over and over.  I’ve felt that way for years and still pop in the CD every once in awhile to listen to Janis. Here’s Janis’ live , from 1969.

So, in the past week, I discovered a different adaptation of Summertime, a rendition preceding Janis’, and my birth, that I LOVE.  I first heard the audio and it immediately surpassed what all I had previously felt for Summertime.  It had a certain vibe that just hooked me in, and, in a word, was ultracool.  Sultry, rhythmic, the horns!, that scat!, all lively and smooth at the same time.  It felt so original and full of feeling and I got stuck on it.  I tend to do that with my new favorites, playing on repeat over and over for dozens of times. 

This song interpretation was from 1966, by a guy I’ve never heard of, Billy Stewart.

After days of listening while doing my work around the house, I became curious about this Billy Stewart fella and I YouTubed it. OHMYGOD is all I can say. 

There have been many times when the video to a song enhances the music for me.  One example popping into my head is 2002’s By The Way, by my all-time favorites, The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  It was a really good song, but once I saw the video, it made the song even better.  It’s like the visuals elevated the sounds. 

You totally get the panic and energetic craziness of the music once you see the psycho cabbie fan and the music comes even more to life. Here’s By The Way, for your listening and viewing pleasure, and see what I mean?! 

But the video clip associated with my new favorite song kinda had the opposite effect.  My mental picture took a 10-gallon u-turn for sure.   

Still love the song, though!

1 comment:

  1. This is your best post by far! I have no musical talent whatsoever, but how I love to listen to and watch a great performance! Janis Joplin singing "Me and Bobby McGee" gives me chills everytime! You know I love the Chili Peppers, and now I have to make room for Billy Stewart too! Thanks for sharing these fantastic clips!

    ReplyDelete