Thursday, November 25, 2010

How I Spent My 43rd Birthday

Jack stayed home sick on my birthday with what turned out to be a sinus infection.  I really thought he would test positive for strep, having such a bad sore throat and knowing it was going around in the neighbor kids, but no.  It was basically a long-term cold turned bad and getting into his sinuses.  Don’t worry, he could still hold the remote AND cell phone. And he is feeling much better by now.  jack sick

Sam was stricken with another round of yucky impetigo that transferred from his hand to his face, so I took him to the doctor that day so we could get some major-strong antibiotic ointment like before and get a handle on that before it got too bad. 

And that same day, I was signed up to take in fruit salad for one of the kids’ school’s Teacher Appreciation lunch.  I am always one to quickly volunteer to help out with anything showing teachers appreciation because

Yea to all teachers!!

I originally signed up for one fruit salad.  When no one else had signed up to bring another one, I said that I could cover both by making one big one and then the person coordinating wouldn’t have to worry  or scramble to find another provider of fruit salad. 

$25+ and 25 pounds later, and I assure you, clearly separated from the germy kids in the house, I had this to deliver to school.  How do I know 25 pounds of fruit?  Well, I don’t really and didn’t actually weigh it, but this was a throw-away roasting pan for a 25 pound turkey so I guesstimated. 

nov 10 033 Trust me, it was a big batch of fruit. 

nov 10 038

Once Gary got home, he presented me with not one, but two beautiful bouquets that I arranged into one.  Something you might not know:  I really like making flower arrangements.  Don’t judge this one too closely as it was a quickie because I was so excited to move on to my next activity, the highlight of my day…

nov 10 025 

We headed out for my one birthday request, a meal at my favorite Mexican restaurant.  A meal with no complaints since fifty percent of my offspring are picky eaters and do not like to go to Mexican. 

My birthday wish was granted. 

And BONUS! if it is your birthday, which Grant right away announced to Eduardo it was, you have a choice of a free ice cream OR a shot of tequila.  Who knew?! 

Well, you know I am not one to normally pass up ice cream, especially free ice cream, but considering I was so full of chips and rice and beans and chickie chimichanga, I decided I really didn’t feel like having ice cream. 

So I opted for the shot. 

diane bday

This picture would suggest I had maybe more than one, but it was just an unfortunate shot, uh, picture, that Gary snapped with his phone after I downed it.

Notice how I am barely touching the glass.  There’s a reason. 

It had been on fire.  For real!

You should have seen the kids’ faces when they saw their frumpy old mom suck down a drink that was literally flaming with blue fire!  Honestly, I was kinda scared to do it, my first time, but for some reason felt totally trusting of Eduardo and crew as they sang and clapped to me in Spanish and encouraged me to down the drink using a straw.  I glanced over to Gary and he gave me a Go For It look, so I did. 

No regrets.

Now, know I wouldn’t normally consume alcohol in front of the kids; shoot, I don’t normally consume alcohol period, but I will tell you, I think I was instantly elevated up to a higher level in my kids’ eyes as they saw me bravely drink down the stuff ON FIRE!!

One tough, old mama!

4 comments:

  1. You are a sweet, young mama, despite what I said last night, forgive me? It is kind of scary to suck that "flaming' drink down. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to also point out that my sombrero is actually hiding a family of three that was sitting behind us.
    AND I guess maybe I shouldn't have totally trusted Eduardo because now that I read this, apparently I was risking damage and disfigurement. http://www.drinknation.com/bartending/flaming-drinks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgive you for the OLD comment. Besides, it was actually said this morning so who's acting old now?!
    Totally just kidding; you know that!!
    Can't wait for tomorow. Gobble gobble!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a flaming shot!! Beautiful flowers from my BROTHER???!! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete