Monday, November 22, 2010

MovieMonday—My Very Favorite Movie

Many years ago, when I was a college student in 1987, my girl friend Stacey and I drove from Charleston to Mattoon to catch a movie.  Little did I know that day I would be seeing my very favorite movie of all time. 

It had me literally holding my stomach and sliding down my theater seat, laughing so uncontrollably.

I remember I completely lost it during the scene when you can see the caramel corn dangling from John Candy/Del Griffith’s jumbo pajamas as he wakes up snuggling next to Steve Martin/Neil Page.  It was just the sight of that sticky caramel corn dangling that got to me, which unfortunately you cannot see in this picture below, but on the big screen, it’s unmistakable. By that point, I was nearly lying on the floor, about to hyperventilate from so much laughter.

john-candy

I can’t even tell you how many times I have watched it, but I still love the movie and can not NOT laugh out loud, just anticipating the upcoming lines. The story is set at Thanksgiving time, so I just have to promote it to you today. 

I love the music, the lines, the humor, the images, the ridiculousness, the message.  Every part of it. 

What’s not to love about

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

What better time to catch it again? I’m sure you’ve seen it before since it is the best movie of all time.  Do yourself a favor and watch it again this Thanksgiving season and laugh until you think you’re gonna slide out of your seat.

  planes_trains_and_automobiles

P.S.  I can say I have personally driven by the Braidwood Inn and got a big thrill.  Can you?

3 comments:

  1. Pop it in Friday and we can watch it while eating. But that could be dangerous, I realize. I too love this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, an all time favorite funny movie!!!! Before this classic Holiday movie, my favorite was, "It'a a Mad, Mad, Mad World". We used to always watch it with my family, (Larry, Vicki, etc) when we would be together at Christmas. (Which wasn't very often.). A favorite scene of mine is when they are driving the burned out automobile. Thanks for making us smile. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, get the DVD player warmed up! That sounds like a great plan for Friday! And I remember seeing Mad, Mad World with the Warren Family! What fun that was!!!

    ReplyDelete