Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Don’t Forget, Constitution Day is Coming Up!

signing Constitution Day is on Monday, Sept. 17, 2012,

commemorating the day the U.S. Constitutional Convention signed the Constitution in 1787.

From Wiki: The law establishing the holiday was created in 2004 with the passage of an amendment by Senator Robert Byrd to the Omnibus spending bill  of 2004.  Before this law was enacted, the holiday was known as "Citizenship Day." In addition to renaming the holiday "Constitution Day and Citizenship Day," the act mandates that all publicly funded educational institutions provide educational programming on the history of the American Constitution on that day. In May 2005, the U.S. Department of Education announced the enactment of this law and that it would apply to any school receiving federal funds of any kind. This holiday is not observed by granting time off work for federal employees.

Iowa schools first recognized Constitution Day in 1911.

Did you know that?  This guy did.  He’s doing a flag ceremony in front of the whole school today in his Scout uniform.  He let me take this picture.  I feel like declaring it some special day just for that alone.

   sept 11 102

Of course, I had to go through this one first to get there. 

sept 11 100

3 comments:

  1. "I feel like declaring it some special day just for that alone." - Hilarious statement. And, no, I did not know that Constitution Day was coming up because I didn't know it existed, but considering there is "Cheap Trick Day," I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Jack. My students and I discussed the Constitution (along with the fact they have to pass the exam next year). When I have my own school, I will have a ceremony with Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra thinks this is awesome! Rock on, Jackson!

    ReplyDelete