Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sam’s 7th Birthday

Sam has the unfortunate luck of having a birthday out of the groove of that three weeks of June and July when we celebrate the others bam, bam, bam. 

For Sam, the timing is: we go on vacation, right away school starts, we have Labor Day weekend, and, boom, it’s his birthday and there is little fanfare.  This Mom has managed to plan one birthday party with friends ever for the poor kid and that was last year. 

Luckily, Aunt Debra remembered his 7th birthday in plenty of time and sent him a card and a DQ gift. 

He picked to go to DQ for his birthday meal that night and we picked up his ice cream cake that I had ordered earlier that day, just to his exact Spongebob specifications even though he probably didn't really think it would happen since nothing else of his birthday seems to come to fruition.   He was pretty happy as you can see, and maybe that’s part of the problem.  He goes along without complaining much at all and then it’s September the next year and I forget again until too late.  

 sept 11 024 sept 11 025 sept 11 030

He calls it his DQ credit card and yes, Aunt Debra, it DQ card totally made his day.  You’d thought he was a 22 year old girl at the mall swiping her rich daddy’s card, the way he was whipping this thing around that night.  He used up his five bucks, but Gary refilled it so he can go DQ charging again sometime. 

Sam is pretty well stocked in the Nutella department now, too. 

 sept 11 041 

sept 11 039 I got him the game Hedbanz that Caroline loved playing with Aunt Karen this summer.  I thought Sam could really benefit from the language part of the game. 

hedbanz

To play, you have a card on your forehead that the others can see and you have to ask them yes/no questions to figure out what thing you are.  “Am I alive?” or “Am I bigger than a microwave?” (Caroline’s fave Q) kinda helps you it whittle down.  Of course, Sam’s method of playing was to ask, “Am I pizza?”  “Am I a dog?”  “Am I scissors?” “Am I a van?”  Am I a ball?”, so yeah, he needs to learn to play a little smarter.  

This was a huge bag of Tootsie Pops, like five pounds worth.   And who thought this would be a good idea for the kid that barely eats any real food!?

sept 11 040 Oh yeah, that was me. 

  sept 11 045

He got Legos, too, but that’s just a given around here.

Sam says thank you also to Aunt Julia and Uncle Neil for the fun fish card and 7 bucks!   Cool! 

2 comments:

  1. I promise I knew it was his birthday, but I didn't get the call made. That was the night you heard me screaming with excitement! Happy birthday, Sam! Your birthday money is in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra thinks this looked like the best birthday ever! Wish I was there to have some of that cake!

    ReplyDelete