Monday, November 14, 2011

A Weekend Recap

Wow, this was an eventful weekend.  No one major big thing but so many small ones.

Thursday—

Grandma Barbara came for the night before she flew off to Phoenix.  The kids were so happy she was here. 

I had an excellent night at Bunco, bringing home a prize of $25, clinching the deal that I should just buy the shoes I really want and have been watching for months, even though they never go on sale.  I forgot to notice that it was the Marine Corp birthday.  I do this every year.

Friday—

The kids were off of school for Veteran’s Day.  Their dentist appointments were cancelled by the dentist and I was actually relieved because getting everyone up and out the door by 7:30 a.m. on their day off from school was not looking very fun for me.  Instead, I spent a couple of hours actually sitting in a comfy chair and I watched dvr’d Dancing with the Stars episodes while waiting for the kids to get up.  Later in the morning, I took Jack to the podiatrist and discovered that podiatrists are wonderful people for fixing feet that hurt.  Within the 45 minutes we were in the office, we were called back to the exam room, was reviewed by a nurse, saw the doctor, was treated by the doctor and walked out feeling 100% better than how either of us felt when we walked in. 

The Backstory:  Jack had had an awful ingrown big toenail that he didn’t let us know about for a few months.  Once we became aware of it, it was really, really bad.  He was seen by his endocrinologist and the pediatrician for it and taken two rounds of antibiotics but those didn’t phase the infection and swelling.  So today when we were expecting a recommendation of coming back for a surgery, the podiatrist got right to business, numbed his toe, trimmed the nail in a major way, put carbolic acid on the nail bed to cause permanent death to that section of that nail and, wah-la, problem fixed.  No ongoing lifetime battle for him, fighting ingrown toenails, which can be especially concerning being a  diabetic.   And Jack watched the whole procedure while I scrunched my head into his shoulder so that there was no way I could see what was happening.  And I might add, he marched in the Veteran’s Day parade six hours later. 

**I am thinking there should be a special news segment or maybe a public service announcement on tv and radio about this wonder treatment for ingrown toenails.  For something that can be so incredibly painful and ugly and horrible to live with to be remedied in a matter of minutes completely painfree within a doctor’s office, I think it should be well advertised. 

I asked the doctor if this was a new procedure and he told me he’s been doing it for twenty years. 

I just think the world deserves to know.**

Friday—continued.   I met that afternoon with an architect here at our house to help us finalize some plans about expanding our house.  That was exciting and he will be getting back to us soon (I hope this week) with some preliminary drawings. 

We went to the Veteran’s Day parade that night and I got all teary just like last year on Veteran’s Day and we brought home one of Caroline’s friends for a sleep over.  And you all should just see Jack march sometime.  He stands out so prominently being so tall but also by having a really impressive posture holding and playing his trumpet.

Saturday—I was looking forward to a warm and beautiful day in the woods helping Gary with wood, but it turned out that after I Zumba’d in the morning and Kitti’s parents came to pick her up, I spent the afternoon instead carting my kids around to places like Target to buy a birthday present five minutes before Caroline’s friend’s birthday party and getting Sam to gymnastics where I realized that Sam could be considered a total spaz.  He loves being in gymnastics, but God bless him.

Isn’t it funny how this three word phrase conveys so much more than the three actual words themselves?

I retrieved Caroline from the party and and swung by to pick up a friend of Grant’s who was spending the night.  I took a phone call from my friend and neighbor asking if I was free to go to the Fox Theater with her at 7 pm to see a musical and whadya know?  I was.  I got as dressed up as dressed up can get given my current pitiful SAHM wardrobe and we went to one of my fave restaurants for a quick supper before the show, Billy Elliott.  They spoke with heavy British accents and I did fall asleep several times, but it was cool to be there at the gorgeous Fox and the dancing was so impressive and entertaining.  I got home after midnight!

Sunday—I helped Jack with an unbelievable math project which in a nutshell was to provide an imaginary Thanksgiving meal for thirty people.  He had to come up with a menu, a grocery list, a documentation of the food bill based on an actual visit to a real grocery store (no online shopping allowed) to determine what items he needed to buy given the recipes, how many at what size, and at what cost, keeping in mind he had to serve thirty people. He also had to include a summary of his “shopping experience” and an account of his fictitious cooking experience.  We were at the grocery store from 12:30 or so until 2:30.  It was crazy!  And then once he came home, he had to type it all up, including creating an invitation to the meal and a written conclusion of the whole event. 

And this was an assignment for Algebra 1.  ?!

Then, I mowed and helped Gary a bit with wood before cooking up some chicken and dumplings and heading off to a Zumba MasterClass with….Gary!  We Zumba’d together for 90 minutes and it was so much fun.  He was the only XY chromosomer there, but it didn’t intimidate him at all.  He did great but did reveal he prefers his P90X moves to samba and salsa. 

And I personally find that to be whack.  All I can say is God bless him.

Next, we hit Target to buy more ink for the printer that Jack’s project promptly drained and then quickly regained the calories we exercised off times three with a meal at my other fave restaurant, one of a Mexican persuasion. 

And now here it is midnight ending the weekend and I am tired and so looking forward to bed but have to pass along this one more thing.  I found out this little tidbit just yesterday and had no idea this was on her mind.

Caroline confided in me that she is so excited to say yes when Aunt Debra asks her to be her flower girl! 

Debra, you better get on that. 

2 comments:

  1. What?!? Is that an announcement that I missed? Maybe Debra can be Caroline's flower girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm over a month late reading your blog, and am stunned that no one mentioned the "flower girl" thing to me! At the rate I'm going, she may be the oldest flower girl ever!

    ReplyDelete