Friday, April 30, 2010

Another This n That This Week

April 10 053

Here you see the beautiful flowers that were waiting for me at my last-ever-stamp-club night.  The day of it, I was kinda feeling sad that after six years of meeting with friends monthly to make projects, I was having to tell them I was not going to be running a Stampin’ Up business any longer, in light of our busy move and tiny new house, etc.  I mentioned it that day to Gary how I was feeling kinda down about it, but by his making one lone remark, “you have done it awhile,” it led me to think he didn’t really get it at all. 

So then that night, as I am beginning the final meeting, the hostess stops me and says “Your husband stopped by earlier.”  And I am thinking, that’s weird--wonder why?  And then she points to those flowers in a vase.  I just started crying and couldn’t talk for awhile.  It meant so much

1. because he did get it and

2. that he stopped, picked out, and PAID FOR flowers purely for my benefit since I know that is an act as pleasurable to him as….I don’t know, getting a root canal?…anyway, something not enjoyable at all. 

See how smart I was to marry him?  And so life goes on without stamp club.  No biggie.  I’ll have manure to shovel and fence to be mendin’ now. 

---------------------------------

And speaking of things enjoyable, I loved the bare stairs look we had going for day or two getting ready for the new carpet installation.  But sorry, Debra, Gary did the demo work and did not save any remnant of melted carpet.  Not even a picture taken!

  april 10 016 

Does everyone know the Debra/stair story??

It involves:

a new baby in the house

my very helpful moms and sisses pitching in to do whatever needed

a vacuum with a weirdo or perhaps broken switch to turn off the beater

a melted carpet patch on the bottom six or so steps

several years of laughs at Debra’s expense

------------------------------------

One thing I might miss when we move to the country:  garbage pick up. 

april 10 035april 10 017

Here’s the living room bare-flooredapril 10 019

and the upstairs hallway.  We also did Grant/Sam’s room so far, and in all, pulled up tack strips (that job is no fun in any way) and thousands of staples individually by hand.  That We would be Gary, me, and Grant, the wonder worker.  What a trooper, I have to say!  And see the water marks on the hall floor boards?  I cannot help but think that is the sad trail of years of kid throw-up and pee, but mostly throw-up, you know, trying to get from the bedrooms to the bathroom in time.  They never once made it, I swear.   

Can I even type a post anymore without making you go “eewww!”?

So anywho, new carpet!  Yippee!!  Even though we are so outta here, it still makes me feel great. 

----------------------------

Yesterday we told Caroline that she had to pick up all the maple helicopters in the fenced yard so that Gary could mow.   We have a few.  Make that jillions. april 10 026

Little Darlin’ went right out there and promptly started the job.  It wasn’t too long, though, maybe a few seconds, until she asked if she had to do the whole thing, and then how was she going to do that?!

(She’s a little sensitive about this now apparently and didn’t want it posted, but I have to and I am the boss, so do me a favor and just don’t mention it to her.  I did remove her picture of her actually doing it, but it is just too cute not to share the story.)

------------------------------------------

Roof guys came this week and, man, did they get their work done pronto.  One afternoon and it was done.  Yea!april 10 021

If you scroll back up to the garbage pick-up pic, you can see the new roof but, warning, don’t be expecting much.  It looks exactly the same.  Except without that black fungus junk and missing shingles.  So, better but not much different.

-----------------------------------

Who can guess what this is?? 

I see it as $120 sitting in my bank account.  Well, minus the expense of the actual braces, so maybe on second thought I see minus $500?  Ok, never mind. 

april 10 009

Grant got his braces off his bottom teeth, and lo and behold, if two teeth didn’t come out with them!  That is good news!  No, make that great news! We didn’t have to pay for them to be pulled like we have nearly every other baby tooth he couldn’t lose on his own.  So, yeah, happy day at the orthodontist that day. 

Next step in the mouth reshaping is retainers to be worn at night only.  Grant says:

Hooray!  Happy day for sure!

 april 10 014

----------------------------------

This was the scene today before school.  Caroline told Jack that Scooter had a squirrel treed.  Jack immediately hopped up and said “I’ll shoot it” and Caroline said, “Jack, you are the best big brother ever!” 

That’s exactly how it went, verbatim. 

april 10 028

                        ---------------------------------

And then this image kept haunting me all morning until I finally shut the doors.  You know how you kinda notice something in your peripheral vision when you’re not even trying to see it and then you mis-think what it actually is?  This was my mind seeing Sam sending himself down the laundry chute.   

 april 10 040    

----------------------------------

The End.

Until next time, that is. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Good for Gary!!
    I don't remember the stairs and vacuum, but it is a funny story! I do remember vacuuming cobwebs from that stairwell.
    I can't believe you pulled out all the carpet!!
    That was a mean trick to pull on Sweet Caroline!
    Yeah for night-time retainers!!
    What kind of a gun is Jack using??
    Did anyone ever try the chute??

    Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny anecdotes! The new carpet looks great... just keep the vacuum cleaner away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot... nice move lil brother with those flowers! Well played!!!

    ReplyDelete