Monday, April 19, 2010

Movie Monday--Grey Gardens

[Ok, now, I do declare, Monday posts may be either music-related or movie-related.  Today is movie.]

You know when you watch a movie and it ends, and you don’t know totally what to make of it, but you can’t stop thinking about it?  Pulp Fiction was one of those for me, many moons ago.  Did I like it?  Did I hate it?  How could I not know?!

Well, about three weeks ago I rented and watched a couple of dvd’s from the library, and here I am still, much later, with those on my mind. 

File:Greygardens.jpg

Grey Gardens

and

 The Beales of Grey Gardens

Both films were from a 1975 documentary made by a pair of brothers, The Maysles, just kinda peeking in on the life of two Hamptons-living ex-socialites from the well-known Bouvier family (Jackie Kennedy’s aunt and cousin), existing in their decaying mansion with cats and coons and trash and filth and crazy talk of all description.  Big Edie and Little Edie Beale, even their names seemed odd, were the mother and daughter featured.  They were quite reclusive, eccentric, and can I just say, existed in some strange states of mind and even stranger surroundings.

I enjoyed it.  I guess? But it was so weird.  But so real.  But very weird.  But like people are.  Well, sometimes? 

Definitely one that left me thinking…

5 comments:

  1. I just added Grey Gardens to my Netflix queue. I'll let you know what I think....

    And did you know they also made a TV movie based on the documentary? It starred Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, you will maybe like it, if you can tolerate it. hahaha. I knew about the HBO movie but never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched about half of it so far. I'm not sure which part is my favorite yet. It's either Little Edie practicing her "march" on the front porch in her red dress or Big Edie cooking corn on the cob IN BED!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably like their life--they eat ice cream all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished. Wow. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete