Thursday, April 29, 2010

Grant’s Essay

Grant recently brought home a 4th grade Social Studies test.  One whole page of it was a written essay on a topic of his choice related to the history they had been discussing in class.  This included topics such as Civil Rights, the Industrial Revolution, and Immigration.  He could have written about Ellis Island, Henry Ford, or cool inventions—things I would imagine a boy to have interest in.   But instead, I found this in his take-home folder, and I gotta say, in that instant I was beaming proud of him.  He wrote a great answer and his teacher apparently approved, but what hit me the most was his topic of choice…..

Women’s Rights?!April 10 016

April 10 016 (2)

Me:   Wowee, Grant!  (hug)  I am so proud of you that you found this topic so important that you wrote about it above all others you could have chosen.  You are great!

Grant (very flat, no emotion):  Well, Mom, I just picked it because it was the one that had the most facts. 

Me:  Oh. 

Oh well!  Great job regardless. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read that, what a boy! He knows the way to a Mom's heart! See you tomorrow. xoxo, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spent a great weekend with everyone, but didn't hear a word about this fantastic essay! Save it so that I can see it next time. Grant, you're an excellent student. I'm proud of you, and so is everyone else! I hope you know how extraordinary you are!!!

    ReplyDelete