Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Root Canal

Root_Canal

Yesterday was my appointment for the dreaded root canal procedure.  I really didn’t know if it was the correct decision to go ahead with it or not, but in the end, I know now my decision was the right one. 

One of my lower teeth, one right before the molars, started hurting while we were on vacation.  I thought it was so strange because I had just had my check-up and cleaning a week before that and there were no problems.  But after a few days of pain with it on the trip, I realized there was a big problem and had a dentist said he’d yank it, I would have probably came home from Arizona with one fewer teeth. 

As soon as we got home, I called my dentist and she saw me the next day, but by then, it wasn’t hurting!  At all!?!   She identified the tooth as one that had had a major filling in 2010 and there was talk then of a root canal but it turned out it wasn’t needed.  She felt that the pressure of being at the high elevation caused the pain and there was some infection, so we scheduled a root canal for a month down the road.  She prescribed a round of yucky, yucky erythromycin and honestly, I felt nothing from the tooth through that whole month and really debated whether or not I should keep the appointment.  Gary was the one saying I should just get it done even if it wasn’t a problem right now.  It was funny that he was telling that to an arguing me because usually the roles are completely reversed.

I just couldn’t see having a dreaded procedure on something that wasn’t currently a concern. But then I thought, what if I got a chance again to go out West, like to Santa Fe!, and then what if I was miserable there, or anywhere with elevation, because I didn’t follow through with the dern thing?  I’d be pretty mad at me. 

But each day as it got closer, I was doubting again if it was needed.  The appointment was on a Monday and since I hadn’t given them any warning about cancelling, I showed up.  I told the assistant and the dentist my doubts and asked if I should do it if I wasn’t having any pain, sensitivity, nothing.   They took an x-ray and then recommended that I go ahead with it. 

So I did. 

That was probably my best decision in all of 2012.  It was not painful, it was not long, it was nothing like I imagined a root canal would be given how people have talked about them and the reputation they have. 

I still have to go back and get the crown on, but it was a breeze.  My PSA is:  If you need one, do it while you feel fine, before you are inflamed and in pain.  I can tell you, a root canal can really be no big deal. 

What do I feel like giving Dr. Dunn, my super dentist?...A little plaque.

Haha.  And one more: 

What did the dentist see at the North Pole?...A molar bear.

: )  : )  : )

1 comment: