Friday, June 12, 2015

Day#195

Vacation day 8

We drove the kids through the river front of Wimberley to let them see what an unbelievable force Mother Nature can be. A peaceful river that's usually at 12 feet grew to over 40 feet. You can not believe water can undo giant 100 year old cypress trees, but it can. And not just tipping them at the roots, but literally breaking them in two at the trunk.

Jack spotted a Suburban that looked like it'd been in the worst kind of demolition derby, somehow placed to be resting many feet above us in the trees on the steep hillside of someone's yard. 

I saw a simple wooden chair dangling from a branch, so high up I couldn't even imagine in my head how the water could've been so high.

We saw houses half standing, broke in two and remnants of foundations where entire houses were washed away and crashed into bridges. The safety railings of the main bridge were so twisted and deformed, practically demolished, and still full of green leafy tree debris.

It was just unreal and certainly tragic that this weather event had happened, but amazing to witness the aftermath ourselves.  So somber though to consider the lives and treasures that were lost.

The water levels of the Blanco River had returned to normal by the time we were there, but the Cypress Creek going through town was still a little high. It was still such a beautiful place though. That's where these pictures were taken. I need to get the river pictures off the good camera still. I don't even know what I captured, Gary was driving and I was just pointing out the window clicking. I will definitely share once I download them.

No comments:

Post a Comment