Monday, June 21, 2010

Music Monday—RHCP Covers

Here’s a sampling of cover songs by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with my Top 3 noted.   

3.  Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl) was a favorite of mine in 1972 when I was, yes, a 4 or 5 year old girl.  Such a great story-song, all about Brandy’s sailor’s story.  So memorable! 

And who doesn’t know these classic lyrics?

She works layin’ whiskey down

….

Brandy, wears a braided chain

Made of finest silver from the north of Spain

A locket, that bears the name

Of a man that Brandy loved

….

My life, my lover, my lady is the sea.

Here’s the Chilis’ cover from the By the Way era in 2003.

2. If You Want Me to Stay, originally by Sly and the Family Stone in 1973.  The Chilis covered this on their album Freaky Styley in 1985.  I love their version!  This was, of course, pre-Chad Smith and John Frusciante. Here you see and hear Cliff Martinez and Hillel Slovak. RIP Hillel.

1.   Havana Affair by The Ramones, was a cover the Chilis performed at Slane Castle in 2003, again in their By the Way era.  Such a fun cover!  I gifted myself this show’s DVD a couple of Christmases ago and still just love it, an overall excellent show!  So sad the four of them will probably never play together again.  What a dang shame is all I can say.

 

Here are a few other misc covers.  Did you know they’ve done the Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, and at least three Jimi Hendrix songs? 

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding! Where can I get me some pants like Flea's? Also, I agree 100% with the "Brandy" reference! No matter what I'm doing or where I'm at, I stop to listen to every word when I hear that song. I love the story! I never knew that you did also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ughh... you know i like RHCP - but they did NO justice to Brandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should've clarified that, while I dig the Chili Peppers, they should've left Brandy alone. NO ONE should ever attempt a re-do of Brandy! The original by Looking Glass is untouchable!

    ReplyDelete