Monday, June 28, 2010

Movie Monday—The Man Who Wasn’t There

Movies have been rare for us lately with all the stuff we have going on in life, but yesterday, a Sunday morning, Gary and I just sat and caught a movie on tv.  It was The Man Who Wasn’t There, a Coen Brothers movie from 2001 with Billy Bob Thornton and of course, didn’t-I-just-say-Coen Frances McDormand.  Other faces I knew included James Gandolfini, Scarlett Johansson, and Michael Badalucco.   

200px-The_Man_Who_Wasnt_There

We have been fans of the Coen Brothers  for many years, at least since Raising ArizonaThe Man Who Wasn’t There was one that I had heard about way back when it first came out, but we had never watched it.  I usually let Gary pick our movies since he’s much more knowledgeable about them.  I think he had the impression that this movie, following the well-known Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and O Brother, Where Art Thou? was not very promising, so we skipped it all these years. 

It was no Fargo or O Brother, but… we both liked it.  A black-and-white set in 1949, it’s one you might want to catch if you didn’t way back in 2001. 

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't seen Fargo or The Big Lebowski. I think their only movies I've seen are Oh Brother (loved it) and Raising Arizona (not a fan). I should probably try more... I do like Frances McDormand.

    I just saw that they are making The Yiddish Policemen's Union into a movie. It's a novel that I've been wanting to read for a couple years now but haven't gotten around to it. Now that I see its going to be a movie, I'll have to go get it from the library!

    ReplyDelete