Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Boy Scout Camp

BEFORE

Sunday morning

july 10 025

july 10 029

july 10 028

july 10 031

Six days later

AFTER

Saturday afternoon

 july 10 011

july 10 012

july 10 010

 

Notice there are no AFTER hugging shots. 

The light patches you see on Gary’s shirt are those few parts not sweat-saturated.  Yep, that would be the pocket top layer and the tip of the collar.

Jack’s shirt looks miraculously white and clean.  I think he saved back at least one to wear fresh for the ride home. 

They had a great time!  Jack built a shelter and slept out in it in the wilderness.

No tools allowed.  IMAG0018

He made two rank advancements by working so hard on all his merits.  Way to go, Jack!

For his Survival Training, he learned to make fire, send signals, get water, and make shelter.

He said he learned that you don’t worry about food. 

That wouldn’t really fly with me. 

IMAG0008

Gary met with some automotive challenges on the three hour drive up to Camp Drake near Danville, IL.  He said the roof of this place looked like it was about to cave in.  Is it just me or does it look like there might be 2 inches of clearance above his truck?  Nevertheless, some locals got the job done and from his description, I think GitRDun is in their vocabulary.  He, Jack, and the scout equipment trailer made it home safely.

And can I just say, I honestly have never faced such a laundry challenge as the one presented to me, and doesn’t that just sound like I was handed a present, when these boys got home.  Gas mask, please.  It’s a deadly formula. 

 

Clothes X extreme heat/humidity X dirt and other organic matter  X XY chromosomes X hourly perspiration-related activities X stuffing into a bag to sit for days = wicked fermentation.

You should be thanking me I haven’t added Smellavision to this blog. 

4 comments:

  1. I slept in a shelter like that once in Minnesota to earn some badge. I quit the second I arrived back in Flora and never had it attached to my uniform though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross - You should not share that story! Maybe that is why you weren't invited to visit camp!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary and Jack - I'm glad you had a good time! Congrats, Jack, on earning your badges!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was worth noting that I did the same thing. And the shelter was not the reason I quit. No one made me sleep in it - I chose to earn that badge!

    (btw.. if I still had the badge I could have saved Jack a lot of work and just given it to him. I had the Wilderness Survival badge also - but George made me eat all kinds of wild berries and grass (apparently food was more important to him))

    ReplyDelete