Monday, July 25, 2011

MusicMonday—New Chilis Tune Finally

The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie was actually released last Monday so here I am a week behind but that’s ok.  It gave me a week longer to form an opinion.  But really, my opinion now a week later is exactly the same as the first listen.  

First off, as a serious RHCP fan, I have been waiting for this a long time.  Their last album was in 2006 so all of us were overdue for some new Chilis music.  Plus, without my favorite guitar man John Frusciante in the mix, I didn’t know how it would go, but knowing new member Josh Klinghoffer had been Chili-involved for several years and good, collaborating friends with John, I was very optimistic.

I heard the song.  I loved it at the start.  Right away I was compelled to jump up and dance real jerky smooth.  I like that in music, when it makes you have to move. 

[I saw an interview with Anthony where he said he played this song from his car on his driveway and hopped out and danced with a tree.   I totally get that.] 

My impressions:  I LOVE the cowbell.  Love Chad’s part overall.  Good job as always, Chad.

OK with Josh’s guitar (well, except one part, to be discussed).

Flea, well, I always love Flea’s bass lines.  Who doesn’t?  I think it is the main draw of this song actually.  That and the cowbell. 

Like the lyrics (“I want to rock you like the 80’s”, a rhyme for memorabilia and describing someone’s body as a delicious piece of vinyl—were my too cool faves) and especially Anthony’s free flowing towards the ending.  I always like when he does that.  Sometime I’ll have to share with you my top 3 Anthony free flow verses. 

What I don’t like is the chorus.  : (   That’s kinda a major part. 

Heeeeeey now, we’ve got to make it rain somehow. 

She told me to and showed me what to do.

Oh Maggie makes it in her cloud.

The music (Josh’s guitar) and singing here reminds me of some old Saturday morning cartoon from my childhood with people dressed up in bad bear costumes.  I don’t know if that even existed but that’s what it makes me think of.  Singing bears of the 70’s riding around in a dune buggy.  That is not that cool and I don’t want that image in my head with a Chili’s song.  So I just emphasize the beginning, the outro, and the other non-chorus parts. 

Other than that hokey chorus, I like the new Chilis and can’t wait for more coming at the end of August. 

1 comment: