Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Kind of Day

I guess when you are a 43 year old mom that has been considered full-time stay-at-home now for eight years, it doesn’t take much to give her a thrill.

Saturday was one of the best, best days I have had in a long awhile.  I had wonderful days in Santa Fe in April with Gary, but for myself, by myself, yesterday was it.

I woke up in a tent, lying on the ground, waking to the unbelievably loud happy sounds of the morning birds.  I got up only because I felt like it.  I got dressed and brushed my teeth and that’s really all I had to do. 

I was about two hundred miles from home.  The youngest three kids were home, snug in their beds under the care of their wonderful grandma and grandpa. 

 june 11 057

I had driven up to Ingersoll Boy Scout camp near London Mills, Illinois (beyond Peoria) for Family Day that previous day.  Jack and Gary had been gone all week to camp and that final night, there was a special ceremony in which they were chosen for a select recognition so it was good I was there.  It was a very cool night.  Definitely not cool in terms of temperature, it was blazing hot and so miserable actually, but super cool in what was going on. 

Any noise and photography was strongly discouraged, but I had to get some kind of picture of the impressive and almost eerie scene unfolding in front of me as I stood midway up a large, hilled clearing with the 350 or so scouts and leaders standing among smoking fires and flaming torches and drumming chanters below.  Running braves raced wildly around the huge half circle, choosing an elite group that were then individually announced by the Native American chief and hidden away in the two teepees.

It was dusk, but I turned off the camera flash to try to be less conspicuous and the pictures actually came out ok.

june 11 055  

 

I was glad I was there to witness it, Jack and Gary’s being called out for Order of the Arrow, a sort of national honor society for scouting.  Jack knew it was a possibility he might be chosen.  Gary had no clue.      

I was standing there feeling so proud of both of my guys. 

june 11 056

So after their camp was packed up that next morning, we headed out.  I drove off on my own as Gary pulled one of the scout trailers in a caravan of other dads.

I spent the next few hours driving, stopping off whenever, wherever I felt like it.  I bought some of my favorite-ist candy (macaroons, caramels with cream centers, and maple nut goodies).  I played cd’s I hadn’t jammed to in years as loudly as I wanted.  I freely followed my urge to swing off the highway to check out a TJMaxx in Springfield.  I played my newest favorite song on repeat for probably thirty minutes straight.  I didn’t feel compelled to speed, I just cruised along comfortably.  I kept the a/c at the exact perfect temperature.  I was my own person that beautiful day.

None of that would have happened on a typical mom day with my usual grumpy passengers. 

All in all, it was a wonderful time and I am so grateful I was able to do it.  I got home to find the rest of the family doing great and soon after, Gary and Jack pulled in home safe and sound, just a little hot and tired. 

order of the arrow

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good, we were happy to be able to help out. We love being able to spend time with the children. Just if it had not been so DANG HOT. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJMaxx in Springfield?? That sounds like a good place to get stabbed.

    ReplyDelete