Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Translator Needed. Please Apply Within.

Caroline:  Mom, remember that time you put those duckamovers in your hair?

Me:  What??

Caroline:  That time you put those duckamovers in your hair?

Me:  Duck-a-movers?

Caroline:  Yeah.

Me:  Caroline, I have no idea what a duckamover is!  What is it?

Caroline:  You know, one of those thingies.

Me:  No, I don’t know what it is.  Draw me a  picture.

sept 10 124

Still, ???????????????????????????????!!

Me:  Hmmm.  I still really don’t know what it is.  How do you know about duckammovers? 

(Oops, sorry, my mistake.  Guess I had been misspelling it the whole time!)

Caroline:  Grandma Betty told me about the time you were a little girl and you made a crown and you got it stuck and you had to get it cut out of your hair.

Me:  Oh, Caroline, you mean cockaburrs!

------------------------

Duckammovers, cockaburrs—same thing. 

(I do not make this stuff up. I promise.  Wait, there’s even more.)

----------------------------------

Next day… 

Caroline:  Mom, it would be cool if you had an atlas for your phone.

Me (thinking yes, an atlas application could be cool):  You’re right.  That would be a good one!

Caroline:  Yeah, ‘cause then you could write messages better.

Me (thinking, ok you lost me, girl): Oh.  How would a big world map help me write better?

[She and Grant powwow for a few seconds and Grant comes back with:]

Mom, she means stylus!

-----------------------------

Then next day…

We are headed down the road in the van.  Caroline and Sam are “discussing.”

Sam:  His name is Bruce Bwain (Sam-speak).  That’s Batman’s real name!

Caroline:  No, it’s Bruce Brain.

Sam: No, Caroline, it’s Bruce Bwain! (trying to actually say Wayne)

Caroline, getting heated:  No, no, no!  His name is Bruce Brain.  You know, that thing in your head?!!  It’s Bruce Brain!  It’s not Bruce Skull!  Bruce Brain!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you remember these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rates up there with "Nicatrol". I thought they were cokleburs. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of nicotrol, too! I think you are right--it should be cockleburr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Traductor en Kissimmee

    ReplyDelete