Saturday, October 23, 2010

Two Little Stories: The Helmet and The Helmet Hawk

When you are the fourth-born kid, you will undoubtedly get handed down your sister’s purple flowered bike helmet.

Alibi_LavenderFlowers_large

But because your mom has a heart, though maybe not unlimited cash flow, she will do her best to make it a helmet her little boy can wear to ride with pride. 

What is that saying?  Mother is the invention of creation?  The creation of mother’s invention?    Something like that.

Enter the:

  • blaze orange spray paint
  • black electrical tape
  • and confidence that she can pull off a tiger stripe motif.

Even if there are men beside her taking bets that this little project is a big FAIL waiting to happen in, I believe Gary said, “(laughing, laughing)….three days and all that tape is peeling off!”

oct 10 006

Ross, I think, said he was giving it a week. 

Probably just because he was company at our house and he wanted to protect his dear aunt’s feelings more burritos and fakeOreos.

oct 10 004

Yes, they were totally laughing at me the whole time I was crafting the work of art.

Mind you, in the dark, on the porch, with crappy scissors, numerous distractions, and nothing to go off of. 

  oct 10 010

So there it is!  Rest assured, I will be updating you all on the life of the helmet.  I think it’s more in the scope of YEARS.

It’s already been three days and  absolutely no tape is peeling (laughing, laughing)!

oct 10 001

Most importantly, Sammy likes it!

(This picture was, unfortunately, taken when I mistakenly thought this was the back of the helmet, oops, and I didn’t care if the striping looked so bad. 

Never fear, once I realized this was the front view, I kept working it.) 

-------------------------------

Story Number Two

Grant’s school had a family bike ride last Sunday and he participated in the 9-mile trail ride with his nice new neighbor family, The Hunters, because his real family was lazy, busy, sickly, all of the above. 

grant bike rideHe had a great time and it was a beautiful day for sure.

I snapped this shot of him before he took off.  That day he was sporting a new hair…um...would you say hair-do or hair-don’t?  

helmet hawk grant - Copy (2) 

I like to call it the helmet hawk.

1 comment: