Sunday, March 27, 2011

Boy Scout Camping

Gary and Jack went camping last weekend in Giant City State Park.  They had a great time and the weather was nice, as opposed to today where here it is cold and snowy again. 

I think this is the winter that just won’t quit. 

This was taken at the Lodge.  Jack’s the one towards the right, with the red cup on his belt loop.

IMG_1697 IMG_1725 IMG_1727 IMG_1728 

Here’s Jack.

Um, he’s over 5’8 now in case you haven’t seen him lately.  And he has a moustache.  Sam is so jeal’.

IMG_1737

There are just amazing rock formations in this area of Southern Illinois.  Anytime I have been there, this always crosses my mind...

<internal screaming>“What if there’s an earthquake?!!”

IMG_1748

This here is called Devil’s Standtable and this is what Gary jumped to from that rock on the right.  Not on this trip, but back in the early 90’s when he was there with the parents, and maybe a sister or two? 

It totally looks like something he would do.

The thing is, see the blue figures/dots at the bottom of that picture above?  Those are people standing below. 

That’s a 100 foot drop if you don’t make it from one rock to the other. 

IMG_1749

IMG_1753

Looks fairly innocuous from this view but it isn’t. 

No one was allowed to do the jump on this trip.

Yeah, I don’t think Gary will be allowed to that ever again.  Signed, his wife

This is the cooking set up.  Let me tell you, these guys eat well on the camp outs.  Gary’s there tending the pot of potatoes.IMG_1756

Here they are the next morning, before departure.IMG_1764 IMG_1771 

IMG_1771

 

 

 

 

 

If you happen to notice, Jack’s jeans on this day were a little little.

Apparently, he packed some that he’d definitely outgrown. 

Still, a fine looking scout, if I do say so myself.

3 comments:

  1. I was not on the rock jumping trip - I would definitely remember that! Jack is his father's son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Gary all over again!!!! Wow!!! I don't even want to remember that day Gary jumped. It still scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little-Little jeans! That's so funny!

    ReplyDelete