Monday, March 14, 2011

MusicMonday—Modern Music

 

I enjoy music from all periods, but realized the other day, it’s really possible to get stuck in the tunes of your youth and think that’s all that makes up “good music.”  I think when that happens, you shut yourself off to cool new sounds that might be speaking to you if you only listened. 

Here’s something new.  Radiohead’s Lotus Flower from the newly released The King of Limbs album sounds to me like what I thought the future would sound like, from the perspective of a kid in the early 1970’s.  Except I thought the space-age future would happen around 2000. 

In reality, 2000 was when I was still working as a school psychologist, cruising suburbia with newborn and toddler boys in total-pain-in-the-a$$es strap-‘em-in car seats in our green Plymouth mini van with manual doors and locks.  We were still wearing jeans, eating the same stuff, cooking the same way, heating our house just as when I was a kid.  I guess now, 2000 wasn’t that futuristic after all.   Where were the individual little Spacely Sprocket pods for us to buzz around in, our robots in the home, and spandex-tight StarTrek clothes? 

Hmmm.  So here’s to movement and the concept of opening up to new music and what “future” sounds are to me.  I really enjoy this song.  Even if the music isn’t your cup o’ tea, you can at least watch it for the dance moves.

2 comments:

  1. You know, no one is stopping you from wearing spandex-tight StarTrek clothes. Go ahead, your kids will love going places with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, you crack me up!
    Start your own blog. Please.

    ReplyDelete